My wedding anniversary was a few days ago and it made me think about my destination wedding to Punta Cana, Dominican Republic and the things I loved about having a destination wedding.
I fell in love with the idea years before I got married after actually attending one. The wedding was absolutely breathtaking. The ceremony start time was very specific, which I later realized was coordinated with the sunset. From that moment, I knew I wanted a destination wedding.
Here are some things I absolutely loved about my own.
1. It’s the best time ever! You marry your best friend in a beautiful location of your choice. Everyone gets taken care of and pampered by the staff… we had butlers! You also get to spend several days celebrating your wedding with your closest family and friends rather than just a few hours.
2. It’s the ultimate group vacation! You can choose to do things together or alone. I loved seeing my family and friends mixing and mingling… except for the times I was busy and they left me! It’s the type of trip that could not be duplicated even if you tried!
3. The location is typically new for everyone so there’s so much to see and do, whether it’s exploring the resort or other tourist locations such as major landmarks. I found that many of my guests hadn’t traveled for vacation in years and this was a new experience for them and also a good reason to get away. It was such a good feeling to see everyone enjoy themselves and even years later, still reminiscing about the great times we had.
4. The cost of a destination wedding is typically a fraction of the cost of a traditional wedding for the couple getting married. Cost is usually a deciding factor in choosing a venue so this is very cost effective. Of course, the cost is offset by the guests paying their way to attend, but that’s why it helps to choose a place that is moderately priced that you think most of your guests can reasonably afford.
5. You can stay a little longer for a honeymoon when all of the guests leave and have some couple time. Think private dinners, couples massages, couples excursions etc.
I loved every moment of it and would do it all over again the exact same way. It was honestly everything I dreamed of.
I highly recommend a destination wedding. There are a few things to consider though that no one tells you. I have some helpful information coming up in the next post.